In case you missed 2016 Emmy Awards, here is the recap: winners, speeches, funny skits.
- This year’s Outstanding Drama Series went to Game of Thrones.
- And Outstanding Comedy Series – Veep.
- The People v. O. J. Simpson: American Crime Story had 22 nominations. Jimmy Kimmel joked saying:
“Wonder if he’s [OJ Simpson] having a watching party with the guys”
- Rami Malek, who won the outstanding lead actor in drama series award made a great speech dedicating the win to all the “Elliots”, the character he’s playing on the show Mr. Robot, saying:
“There is a little bit of Elliot in all of us”
- Jimmy Kimmel suggested to create a “Maggie Smith rule” – if you don’t show up to pick up your award then it goes to the second person on the list.Maggie was nominated 9 times, won 4 times (including this year) and attended no times, including this year.
- Tatiana Mislay won the outstanding lead actress in a drama series.
- Jerry Seinfeld hasn’t been at the Emmys since 1997.
- Heidi Klum still writes – “model” as her occupation.
- Kristen Bell uses amber oil as her perfume that she buys in Whole Foods.
- Kate McKinnon wins the Outstanding Supporting Actress award in comedy series.
“Thank you to the academy so much – good sentence,” she said when accepting the speech.
- Jeffrey Tambor won the Outstanding Lead Actor award in the Comedy Series. In his acceptance speech, he addressed the directors and producers saying:
“Give transgender a chance.”
- Jimmy Kimmel’s mom made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for everyone in the audience.
- Juice boxes were also distributed and David Schwimmer got 4 juice boxes.
- Amy Schumer was eating her note, trying to be funny.
- Julia Louis Dreyfus won the Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series. Her speech started as a joke first when she apologized for the current political climate, the war between comedy and politics and how she feels that the show [Veep] starting to feel like a documentary. She also paid tribute to her late father who passed away recently saying he liked Veep:
“His [Julia father’s] opinion the one that really mattered”
- Andy Samberg and Kit Harington had the funniest skit of the show talking about the
“Usable options for the commercial for next year”
- Larry David presented as well and he was in his repertoire saying:
“Look at this. Im a presenter. How hard can it be – open an envelope, read a few words and most importantly act like you are interested”
The 68th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards, took place on Sept. 18th, 2016 to honors the best actors and shows in the U.S. television programming. The winners are selected from the period of June 1, 2015 until May 31, 2016. Academy of Television Arts & Sciences is selecting the winners.