On November 20th, the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show will take place in Shanghai. It has been announced that Lais Ribeiro has been chosen to wear what is considered the pinnacle of any Angel’s career: the Fantasy Bra. Ribeiro took to Instagram to immediately post about the groundbreaking moment, writing; “I’ve been holding this secret for too long and I am beyond honored to announce that I will be wearing the Champagne Nights Fantasy Bra this year! I am very happy and thankful for my Victoria’s Secret family for trusting me and all the support from my on family, friends and fans! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! 😭😭😭 its official!! 💎😭.” https://www.instagram.com/p/Ba9D0u7A1mc/
So what exactly is the Fantasy Bra, and what’s the big deal? Is it really worth the tears and the speech-worthy Instagram posts? Here are 10 things you should probably know about the million dollar undergarment before tuning into the show on the 20th:
1. Being chosen to wear the Fantasy Bra can be a career making moment for any Angel.
2. Some of it’s past wearers include Giselle Bündchen, Heidi Klum and Tyra Banks. It’s most recent wearer was Jasmine Tookes.
3. This year’s “Champagne Nights Fantasy Bra” is worth $2 million dollars; it’s set in 24K gold on a Dream Angels Demi Bra.
4. The “Champagne Nights” bra contains almost 6,000 precious gemstones; over 600 carats of diamonds, yellow sapphires and topazes. It took over 350 hours just to make!
5. Lais Ribeiro, this year’s chosen Angel, has walked in six other Victoria’s Secret Fashion Shows.
6. Last year’s “Bright Night” fantasy bra was worth $3 million dollars, designed by Eddie Borgo and made up of diamonds and emeralds.
7. In 2014, Adriana Lima and Alessandra Ambrosio both wore Fantasy Bras, made up of over 16,000 rubies, diamonds and blue sapphires combined.
8. The very first Fantasy Bra was worn by Claudia Schiffer in 1996, which was valued at $1 million dollars.
9. This year’s Bra was designed exclusively by jeweler Mouawad.
Champagne Nights Fantasy Bra 2 million dollars 👑 @laisribeiro 😍😍 • • #victoriassecret #laisribeiro #alessandraambrosio #heidiklum #elsahosk #candiceswanepoel #giselebundchen #mirandakerr #lilyaldridge #jasminetookes #fantasybra #vsfashionshow #wings #angels #adrianalima #sarasampaio #marthahunt #josephineskriver #taylorhill #cool #model #fashion #like #follow #comment
10. When Ribeiro found out she would be wearing the Bra, she was completely surprised. She told Vogue, “I had no idea that [the fitting] was for the bra. I came in and when I tried it I cried, it was unbelievable.”
Be sure to tune in to CBS on November 20 to catch the Fantasy Bra in action.