25 facts you probably didn’t know about Benedict Cumberbatch – the actor playing Doctor Strange and Sherlock Holmes, who won a Golden Globe for Imitation Game and doesn’t know how to pronounce the word penguins.
- Benedict Cumberbatch is a British actor who was raised in London by the family of actors.
- He attended Harrow, one of the most respected male boarding schools
- Studied Classical Acting in the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art
- Cumberbatch spent a year in India teaching English to the monks.
- Benedict Cumberbatch wanted to study law but realized that it was too competitive and pursued acting.
- Benedict became a household name after playing Sherlock Holmes.
- Check out the video to find out how he prepares for the role
- Benedict Cumberbatch usually plays very intelligent characters like Sherlock Holmes, Stephen Hawking, Doctor Strange.
- The role of Alan Turing in the Imitation Game won him a Golden Globe, Screen Actors Guild Award and the Oscar nomination.
- Benedict likes working on radio and hosted productions for National Geographic, BBC and Discovery channel.
- In one of the narrations, turned out Cumberbatch doesn’t know how to pronounce the word – penguin.
- He also got a role on The Simpsons accidentally as he visited Fox studios for a different appointment.
- Benedict Cumberbatch is an amazing impressionist
- Cumberbatch does great magic tricks
- He also cares for water and it’s preservation
- When visiting South Africa, Benedict Cumberbatch was abducted and his response to the experience was:
“It taught me that you come into this world as you leave it, on your own. It’s made me want to live a life slightly less ordinary.”
- He is married to the opera director Sophie Hunter and they have a son together.
- Cumberbatch likes quiet nights staying home by the fire, drinking whiskey and watching movies or reading a book. He says that: “Reading a good book is the most nourishing thing you can do.”
- His fans are called – “Cumberbitches”, “Cumbercollective”, “Cumberpeople”.
- Even Bostonians have a name for him.
- Check out the video to see how Benedict Cumberbatch spells out his name
- In 2013, he was ranked one of the “Most Fascinating People in Britain”
- Benedict does a lot of charity and fundraising work
- In 2015, Benedict Cumberbatch was was appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire for services to the performing arts and to charity.
- Benedict is interested in Buddhism and practices mindfulness and meditation.
“Looking for happiness is a sure way to sadness, I think. You have to take each moment as it comes”